Welcome to our website !

Why I am not all about that bass

By 6:48 AM , , ,



I wanted to love this song. It’s right up my alley, actually. It has a catchy tune, Meghan Trainor has a gorgeous retro styling that I adore and on the surface it seems to have a strong body positive message.

Or does it?

Scratch below the surface and you will see that this song is about sexually objectifying larger body types and about women seeking validation about their body types from boys/men.

Yeah’ it’s pretty clear, I aint no size two
But I can shake it, shake it, like I’m supposed to do
‘Cause I got that boom boom that all the boys chase
And all the right junk in all the right places

This is sending a very clear message that even larger body types are only attractive if they can move in a particular way and have their ‘junk’ in all the ‘right’ places. As the body image movement grows and plus size models become increasingly popular, there is emerging a new bias. 




It's almost like society has taken a deep sigh of resignation and said "Oh, ok, go ahead and be fat if you have to, but we will only find you attractive if you look like this".

Is this really accepting diversity? I look at the woman above and look down at myself and compare my soft round belly to her flat stomach and small waist and still feel inadequate. I’ve had three children, three caesareans and I have lost and regained over 120kg in my lifetime. As a result my skin is stretched and wrinkled and no amount of cross fit, herbal wraps or dieting is going to change that.

Back to Meghan's song...

Yeah my mama she told me, ‘don’t worry about your size’

This is a great message for women to tell their daughters, for all parents to tell their children, actually.

She says, “Boys like a little more booty to hold at night”

Disregard the gender and hetero bias for now, is this the message we want to tell our daughters? Don’t worry about your size because men prefer a fleshier body in bed? AKA it’s ok to be fat because it provides a little cushion for the pushin’?

As a parent, the message I want to tell my children is, don’t worry about your size because:

  • You are not a sex toy put on this earth for the entertainment of others
  • Your mind is far more interesting than your body
  • Your kindness and compassion will shine like a beacon
  • Your strength and courage will inspire others
  • Your creativity and passion will enrich the world




You Might Also Like

0 comments